Sunday, May 27, 2012

REGULARITY...OVERRATED

So today's challenge was to quilt rocks in a linear format, in opposite directions continuously and not using a figure eight technique. ( yes, I love long sentences). They are irregular in shape just like real rocks. If you look  in the middle, you can see the thread buildup from where I traveled from one line to the next when going in the opposite direction, but I can live with that.
           In the drawing you can see how this is easily done by making a curvy line( left side), then completing that line going up to the top ( right side). It is OK to start the second line from top to bottom if you wish. So how can this be applied to a pieced top?
Hey, I think I like this! This is much easier than pebbles, yet still impressive if done all over, keeping in mind you will see more of the quilting on light or solid fabrics, unless you lighten the thread color on dark fabrics. ( not usually my taste) Anyway, I hope this inspires you to try it.

5 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Are you kidding about the method? You do a squiggly line in one direction; then back up in the other?? I really like the look on the block.

SewCalGal said...

Fun challenge. I really like the effect of rocks going in different directions. I'll definitely give this a try. Thanks. Your FMQ looks beautiful, as always.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Beth said...

You inspired me to try it. I love that look - and thanks for showing how you did it.

M and M plus 3 said...

Oh, oh, oh, I must give this a try. Thanks for sharing!!!Impressive

Gayle said...

Wow!! this looks great.